Skip to main content


Showing posts from December, 2022

The size of the Great Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch

The Great Pacific garbage patch is a gyre of marine debris particles in the central northern part of the Pacific Ocean bounded by the massive North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, rotating clockwise around an area of 20 million sq km or 7.7 million sq miles. The location in the center of a gyre is calm. The circular movement of the gyre carries debris into this stable center, where it becomes trapped. About 80% of the plastic debris and floating trash come from the Pacific Rim, including nations in Asia and the Americas . The remaining 20% of the garbage comes from ships and other marine sources.   The Great Pacific garbage patch can practically be detected by satellite imagery or even by divers because the patch consists primarily of suspended "fingernail-sized or smaller" plastic fragments (the garbage patch density is about) four particles per cubic meter).  According to the Ocean Cleanup project researchers, the garbage patch covers 1.6 million sq km (620,000 sq mi) and cons